Feb. 2012 Statement of Purpose

From early 2012 forward, in addition to providing a compilation of my observations during my grant periods, this blog will be dedicated to education, economic development, business, politics, and linguistics in the Americas.

Sol Cruz Estin

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER

The views and actions expressed in this blog are my own personal opinion and observation and do not necessarily represent the views of Rotary International, Global Citizen Year, Bert Corona Leadership Institute, the Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBa), Phelps Stokes, the US Department of State, the Fulbright Program, the Fulbright Colombia Commission in Bogotá, the Institute of International Education (IIE), la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, or Pitzer College. These entries are intended to be informative, personal, honest, and and at times humorous. Please be attentive to this when visiting and reading my blog.

Sincerely,

SCE

Sol's Jam Report

Friday, July 11, 2008

Dealing with Prejudice, 05/30/08

Bus 753 played an ice breaker game today with our new soldiers. We were each supposed to introduce ourselves, give two first name initial alliteration adjectives, and then tell the group something interesting and unique about ourselves. For example, Josh said, "I'm Jolly Josh, and I think I'm Mexican, but really not."

Shira Fraint, our model-celebrity soldier, said, "I'm Shira and I'm sexy," which received nods from Sol and Bennett.

Aron, another of our soldiers, had the following to say: "Hello, I'm Aron, and I once killed a man." How should we respond to that? Do we applaud or do we cry?

Later, somewhere near the Golan heights, Roni, Mr. eruditeTour Guide, emphasized his understanding of Israel's very "western" nature, its progressive education style, and its very "western" liberalist social tradition. But how can that be absorbed into a region deeply-seated in muslim traditionalism? Finally, he wrapped up his views on the fundamental challenge of the Arab-Israeli conflict: "It's not a problem of changing geography or diplomacy. It's a problem of education. It's a problem of changing mentalities."

Clearly, that's the hardest thing a person can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment