Feb. 2012 Statement of Purpose

From early 2012 forward, in addition to providing a compilation of my observations during my grant periods, this blog will be dedicated to education, economic development, business, politics, and linguistics in the Americas.

Sol Cruz Estin

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER

The views and actions expressed in this blog are my own personal opinion and observation and do not necessarily represent the views of Rotary International, Global Citizen Year, Bert Corona Leadership Institute, the Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBa), Phelps Stokes, the US Department of State, the Fulbright Program, the Fulbright Colombia Commission in Bogotá, the Institute of International Education (IIE), la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, or Pitzer College. These entries are intended to be informative, personal, honest, and and at times humorous. Please be attentive to this when visiting and reading my blog.

Sincerely,

SCE

Sol's Jam Report

Monday, September 27, 2010

Socially Mindful Urban Development in Medellín

This morning at the UPB's Political Science faculty, I attended a fascinating presentation by Christopher Hale, Regional Coordinator at the Organization of American States' regional office in Medellín, and a graduate of none other than--you guessed it--my number one grad program choice, the Foreign Service School and Center for Latin American Studies at Georgetown. I am so happy to have met another likeminded resource and potential adviser. Because two of Christopher's specialization areas are in urban renewal and tracking violent crime in Colombia, I asked him if he might advise my supplementary research project on urban development in Medellín. The result? He's tipped me off about what might just become the most useful document I read during all of my time in Colombia, "Medellín: Transformation of a City." The paper is authored by Christopher's thesis adviser, dutchman Gerard Martin, Georgetown professor and Inter-American Development Bank consultant. What on earth could be a more perfect Monday morning discovery for Sol?

For those of you who read Spanish, the free download for this wonderful report, available as a PDF, can be located here: http://aprendiendo.igc.org.ar/urbanismo-social.pdf

The official IDB-sponsored page for the work can be viewed here: http://www.laboratoriomedellin.com/

I am pumped and hope this will pave the way for some productive findings, relevant for my work in Latin American development, ahead. I hope you, too, enjoy learning more about Medellín's urban revival efforts!

2 comments:

  1. Way to network there Mr. Estin! I see a Georgetown degree in your future son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to network Mr. Estin! I see a Georgetown degree in your future son!

    ReplyDelete