Feb. 2012 Statement of Purpose

From early 2012 forward, in addition to providing a compilation of my observations during my grant periods, this blog will be dedicated to education, economic development, business, politics, and linguistics in the Americas.

Sol Cruz Estin

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER

The views and actions expressed in this blog are my own personal opinion and observation and do not necessarily represent the views of Rotary International, Global Citizen Year, Bert Corona Leadership Institute, the Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBa), Phelps Stokes, the US Department of State, the Fulbright Program, the Fulbright Colombia Commission in Bogotá, the Institute of International Education (IIE), la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, or Pitzer College. These entries are intended to be informative, personal, honest, and and at times humorous. Please be attentive to this when visiting and reading my blog.

Sincerely,

SCE

Sol's Jam Report

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why Consider Tourism and Investment in Medellín?

This morning I was digging through YouTube videos about Medellín's urban transformation for my Intercultural Workshop, and stumbled back across this inspiring gem from BBC's Fast Track program, "Remarkable Renewal Brings Visitors to Medellín": http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fast_track/8850289.stm

In case I forgot to post it before, this is one video everyone must watch. I admit, its historical coverage of the violence and disorder that have plagued the City of Eternal Spring is still shallow at best. But the report captures the city's modern tone of ambition for development just right.

Finally and fortunately, though, I happened across another video during my dig that I think is even better. The mini documentary "Sustaining the Medellín Miracle," a production of the Washington Post, provides an excellent but still concise elaboration of the above points, but in greater structural, economic, and social detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmLwfoUxjc&feature=fvw
As a point of cultural controversy, I especially suggest reading the viewers' comments below the video on its YouTube page.

¡Mirelos ahorita!

Have fun pondering...

SE

No comments:

Post a Comment