My goodness, what a holiday season to remember!
Enjoy the video coverage of my new friends' and my New Year's Eve celebrations in Cartagena de Indias. After bumping into a crowd of Brazilians at Media Luna hostel, my new Australian, Irish, and North American buddies were pleased to see the potential for global integration during one of the Colombian Caribbean's biggest parties. As the Media Luna courtyard slowly turned into a symphony and dance hall, Gabriel and I laughed as we contrasted the boisterousness and musicality of the Brazilians--from the states of Sergipe and São Paulo--to the sophisticated calm of the Argentines. (At the end of the first video below, I believe what Gabo is about to say is "a national divide!"--so sorry for the accidental cutoff!) Once the clock struck 11 pm, I spent several minutes rallying all segments of the gang to move onward into the crowded and narrow colonial streets of the Old City. Once a Dutchman and a New Zealander lady entered the diverse cohort and we got moving, our unscripted miniature United Nations committee decided it was time to stir up an impromptu parade bonanza through the Old Town. The energy for the chants, of course, was first prompted courtesy of my esteemed compatriots, the Brazilians. All of this to later be serenaded by an old cartagenero gentleman on the Cafe del Mar fortress, singing along to tunes by Bob Marley and Buena Vista Social Club. This was certainly one night I will be recounting to my grandchildren.
¡Colombia es pasión!
No comments:
Post a Comment