Feb. 2012 Statement of Purpose

From early 2012 forward, in addition to providing a compilation of my observations during my grant periods, this blog will be dedicated to education, economic development, business, politics, and linguistics in the Americas.

Sol Cruz Estin

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER

The views and actions expressed in this blog are my own personal opinion and observation and do not necessarily represent the views of Rotary International, Global Citizen Year, Bert Corona Leadership Institute, the Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBa), Phelps Stokes, the US Department of State, the Fulbright Program, the Fulbright Colombia Commission in Bogotá, the Institute of International Education (IIE), la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, or Pitzer College. These entries are intended to be informative, personal, honest, and and at times humorous. Please be attentive to this when visiting and reading my blog.

Sincerely,

SCE

Sol's Jam Report

Friday, October 22, 2010

Multi-Tasking, Colombian Style

Reuniting with my mom and Brian, and enjoying the surprise of my Brazilian godparents' visit after a three-year hiatus. Now THAT'S the sound of joy!


Bringing my family home the bacon. Whoops! I mean the avocado. Over-sized, of course.


Dear readers: please excuse my massive delay in posting. I’ve encountered another rut in the road—a broken laptop—and for this reason have been very limited in my internet capabilities in the past couple of weeks. Luckily, tonight I’m resourceful, and also have a generous roommate, Sean Abu. But I promise, soon enough I’ll be back on the smoothly paved highway, jamming!

Well, it's another day and another week, and I'm back to feeling charged. I feel as though I’m entering a new phase in my Colombian experience. For the most part, I can thank a couple of my intellectually curious colleagues and fellow students at the UPB for inspiring me. Spending time with cool Colombians with a passion for politics but also a lust for living in high spirits has gotten me feeling rambunctious to rumbear once again. Right now, hanging out with the members of Model OAS debate team is my saving grace. The fact that we can be in conference talking about how to subtly mold Brazil's foreign policy strategy one day, then discussing the historical evolution of Colombia’s several constitutional reforms later that afternoon, and then bouncing around to Reggaeton the following night, makes me feel like I have found my perfect niche. My peers’ appreciation for a perfect blend of working hard and playing hard has motivated me to approach life with even greater enthusiasm. Nearing completion of my fourth month in Medellín, I’ve realized that living well for paisas is all about achieving a sense of academic, professional, and social hybridism that I rather enjoy. (Maybe the lifestyle of the Claremont Colleges is not as far away from me as I once thought…)

These observations are fitting for Colombian life in general. Whether against my initial criticisms or not, I have happily learned that Colombians, but especially paisas, are some very dedicated workers. In a conversation with one of my students, Carlos Andres, I learned that the standard Colombian workweek is 48 hours. That necessarily means that many people are giving up time spent with loved ones working on Saturdays and Sundays. Of course, many people in workaholic countries like the USA, Japan, and Korea, do this too. But what is remarkable about the Medellín style in particular is the paisas’ knack for preserving bubbles of professional time as distinct from those that should be dedicated to family and personal life. I have noticed most paisas around me take the relaxation afforded by weekends as equally seriously as the workweek, as if to recognize in a systematic manner the dire need for preserving play time for one's own personal health. For example, at least a dozen times I have heard paisas, on Mondays, utter reports such as, "I had a great time relaxing and doing nothing all weekend. And that was right, because that's what weekends are for." So maybe it turns out that my initial responses to a perception of Colombian "laziness" were misguided. In fact, the truth may be that Colombians are just experts at knowing how to achieve personal balance—experts at living the good life. This is a cultural habit that I am growing to appreciate more deeply, and from which I can learn a lot.

If we can conceptualize this ongoing paradox at the societal level, we enter what I will call the Colombian Conundrum. How can a country that is so militant and so bureaucratic at the same time have a popular culture that is so laid back and free-spirited? This is so easily viewed by watching a typical news report by a Colombian network: one five-minute segment will be about the latest car bombing attempt, or the government's latest success in annihilating a narco-terrorist criminal. The very following segment will turn to images of fans wildly cheering on their favorite fútbol team, barbecuing meat and drumming while they perpetuate any given city's sporting rivalry. Chuckling constantly, I will continue to strive to comprehend such paradoxes as I move on with my life in a country that is has for decades been one Latin America's most dangerous and internally combative, but that is also one of its most entrepreneurial, geostrategic, and just downright fun.



For me personal, this dilemma of dual identities is no longer a dilemma as much as it is an enjoyable challenge. Sometimes I love multi-tasking so much that I actually surprise myself. Learning to manage and manipulate the intersection of English teaching with side research has become a blast. For example, I can use whatever it is I'm researching in a given moment as a platform for teaching English and getting my students interested in multi-cultural, cross national affairs, all at the same time. In one instance, for two weeks I used my cultural workshop gaining my students' perspectives on Medellín's urban development challenges; of course, all of the debates were held in English. In another example, two weeks ago, I used a chance to discuss California's battle over Proposition 19, the initiative to legalize marijuana possession for adults, to not only educate about public policy controversies and the importance of the US' congressional midterm elections, but also to allow students to identify confusing new vocabulary. (And for those who are wondering, yes, this strategy of using current events as a vehicle for language teaching was written into my original proposal for the grant.) This form of reciprocal teaching is probably the most fun and satisfying part of being a Fulbrighter. It gives one of my favorite non-wholly-translatable Spanish verbs—aprovechar, or to positively take advantage of—a more relevant personal meaning. Teaching English means helping deserving citizens gain access to not only an increasingly global market of commerce and ideas, but also giving them access to an increasingly global network of friends. Teaching English is contributing to globalization in one of its most wholesome manners. Helping to connect people: it's why sometimes, I can't but help say that I love my job.


…


Still, I must ponder my reservations about this society. Is living in Colombia scary sometimes? I will admit it: yes. Do I slightly get a rush out of knowing that I will never know what sorts of extravagant opportunities or dangers will sprout up at any intersection: YES! Does living in country rocked by a decades of house-of-cards-style political instability and administrative pendulum swings from Right to Left make me feel like I should play more to the middle, stay cool, take precautions, and think strategically about even the most minor actions, all the time? Affirmative. But, the stick within the theme of multi-tasking, all of these dangers, annoyances, and uncertainties are beneficial because they make one want to savor each moment of life more fully. Now THAT is aprovechando at its finest.

…

In the vein of dangers and annoyances, I will inject a sour note that I hope inspires people to be grateful for what they do have—that is, to aprovechar the positive elements of their lives. I know that Colombia may have had a bloody past, but at least I'm happy to say the country is not in Mexico's position: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11174174.


And: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11617353. (SHAME ON YOU, Northern Mexican drug cartels!)


God, if you're out there, please have mercy on Latin America! This is an area of the world about which The Economist has recently written the following: it has “15% of the world's oil reserves, a large stock of its minerals, a quarter of its arable land (much of it unused) and 30% of its fresh water. Like the big two [Brazil and Mexico], Chile, Colombia, Panama and Peru have investment-grade credit ratings, and all four are growing fast." So, why so much strife and nonsense? Can't we just join up with another, focus on cultivating the value of our legal resources, legitimate commercial activities, and human capital, and rejoice? I am disgusted with what's going on in Mexico right now: what a disgrace. I am happy to count my blessings each day I wake up and aprovechar life in the world's formerly most deadly city. But one peron's aprovechando should never come at the expense of others, especially when those others are KIDS that could have bright futures of laughter and learning.



…



Now, if we want to get back into talking about multi-tasking, let me introduce the matter of my family’s visit. Try this one on. How about hosting my parents while enjoying Halloween weekend, Colombian style, while simultaneously hosting a party with my debate team to pick apart the results of Brazil's second round presidential elections? Check, check, check.

Three weeks ago, I was animatedly expecting the arrival of my mom and her fiancé, Brian, for a two week stay in my new city. I knew it would be a fun challenge to host them while also needing to continue showing up for my commitments at the University. I knew that their visit would also constitute a much-needed mental break and chance to get re-rooted in my bigger picture of the globe. But little did I know WHAT an incredibly memorable time I would wind up having in the last two weeks. My mom presented me the surprise of a lifetime: one day after her and Brian’s arrival, she brought in my long-lost godparents from Brazil, whom I hadn’t seen in three years. They may have been long lost, but they were certainly not forgotten! As soon as my two godmothers, Edna and Nita, and my godfather, Humberto, arrived in the City of Eternal Spring, we made like good Brazilians and starting bonding as if we had only been separated for half an hour…

The ensuing seven days together as a family appeared something of an international zoo, or how I refer to a miniature United Nations, in my apartment. I can’t much imagine an event more fulfilling than a diplomatic reunion between Brazil, Colombia, and the United States, and indeed we had its shrunken version in our grasp, laughing and joking and talking politics and cultural dilemmas for hours on end. Having my three moms cook for all of us was about the best gift a Fulbrighter could request one third of the way through my grant period. But between the champagne and the awesome meals, I felt that overachiever’s guilt ticking in the back of my head, reminding me that I am still not on Christmas vacation from work. So, how to reconcile the competing need to replenish my body and mind by spending quality time with family, with the need to also teach cultural workshops, attend a presentation by a Colombian congressman with the Model OAS team, and participate in an annual pedagogy review meeting with my faculty? There was only one easy answer: bring my family with me! I decided my best option was just to bring my relatives with me to many of my classes and meetings, introducing them to my students and colleagues and bosses. After all, I’m supposed to foster cross-cultural exchange, right? The plan wound up successful, and I am under the impression all parties concerned gained new knowledge while also having some decent fun.

In many ways, hosting guests in Medellín always feels to me like a mini vacation within what already is, in many ways, a 10-month-long mini semi-vacation. Playing the role of tour guide allows me the enjoyable chance to re-discover all of the things that get me pumped up about this city: the weather, the hospitality of the paisas, the ample opportunities for musical exploration, the public parks, the foliage, and most of all, the shining examples of innovative Latin American urban development at work. Showing my family around the Botanical Garden, the Parque Arví wildlife reserve, and even getting the chance to attend a pan-Latin American artisans’ exposition at the Plaza Mayor (what a major score that was!) all helped me remember, after the dreary month of October, why I am here. My mission is to re-connect with the language and land and culture of Spanish-speaking Latin America, to intensively learn, and to figure out the holes in markets and governance that I can try to patch through the diplomatic efforts that I will pursue for the rest of my life. By sharing the wonders of Medellín with my family, I am happy to say I have re-grasped my sense of purpose. And in consideration of all of this, I can say with satisfaction that the next six-and-a-half months of the grant period should be the most productive and rewarding yet. In the wake of my family’s departure and the conclusion of one of my best touristic experiences on record, I feel not trapped, stifled, and meaningless, as in October, but excited and driven. I am ready to dive into the rest of this very unique year with the speed and agility of an American eagle.

For now, I will leave you with one of the pride and joys of Colombia's Pacific Coast: the thumping trio ChocQuibTown, whose Hip-Hop-Reggaeton/Funk fusion has been beating through my bloodstream for the last two weeks. Like many Colombians who appreciate these African musical influences, I'm glad to say that many in Colombia are now happy that the group has just won its first Latin Grammy, for Best Alternative Song for "De Donde Vengo Yo" ("From Where I Come"). I imbed the song here for your nighttime enjoyment!






And with that said, I’m going to pack my bags. I’ve got to be up at 5:00 am tomorrow to catch a flight to Manizales. Tomorrow continues my presentation series on US college admissions to the Centros Colombo Americano of Antioquia, my International Education Week project on behalf of the US Embassy. I have to go get some zzzs so I can wake up sharp to do what I love best: promote cross-cultural education. PEACE.


Lounging in a traditional Colombian hanging chair at the Plaza Mayor's artisans' exhibition.


Looks like my godmother, Nita, wanted to do the same!


More promotional advertisements about upcoming urban development projects in Medellín, this one about a new tram system that is planned to take up and east-west route in downtown by 2012. (Photo coming soon...)



My stepfather, Brian, my godfather, Humberto, and I enjoying a moment of rest at the artisan's exhibition



Here we have some sort of traditional Panamanian place mats. Nice stitch work!



My mom and Brian enjoying one of the booths at the artisans' show. Is this a preview of their comfortable retirement somewhere in Latin America? Perhaps so!



These hardened tooled leather tables are masterpieces.



Some more promotion of regional pride efforts in Medellín, this time at the artisans' show.



Artwork all day!



Iguanas made of beads!


Forget what Jim Carrey showed you in 1994: this is the real thing!


Rotary Scholar Sonya Fierst, Pitzer College class of '09, friend Carolina Ramirez, and I enjoying a rainy night filled with refreshments

Bringing international crews together: it's just what we do!



Halloween, Colombian style: Brazilian Carnaval Momma and Dread Lock Rasta Ninja Turtle, doing it live!



My debate buddy, Luis Quintero, and I wrapped up Halloween night with a trip for some serious wings. Little did I know before, but Medellín does not play when it comes to the hot sauce!



Luis getting ready to dig into some grimy but delicious wings. No fooling around!



Beware the one handed glove move! But this is NOT your typical Michael Jackson maneuver... Rather, it's wing time baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment