Feb. 2012 Statement of Purpose

From early 2012 forward, in addition to providing a compilation of my observations during my grant periods, this blog will be dedicated to education, economic development, business, politics, and linguistics in the Americas.

Sol Cruz Estin

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER

The views and actions expressed in this blog are my own personal opinion and observation and do not necessarily represent the views of Rotary International, Global Citizen Year, Bert Corona Leadership Institute, the Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBa), Phelps Stokes, the US Department of State, the Fulbright Program, the Fulbright Colombia Commission in Bogotá, the Institute of International Education (IIE), la Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, or Pitzer College. These entries are intended to be informative, personal, honest, and and at times humorous. Please be attentive to this when visiting and reading my blog.

Sincerely,

SCE

Sol's Jam Report

Monday, October 18, 2010

Poetry from Oral Communication 2

Last week in my Oral Communication 2 class, I decided to have a silly day with my students, encouraging them to flex their creative sides in anticipation of their final project, an artistic oral presentation to be given November 1st. As we move closer to writing and performing longer poetry, short film, and theater projects, I thought it a good idea to break the ice with some haikus reflecting matters of personal interest. I joined in on the fun!

Enjoy the following sample of these short cultural exposés:

Reggaeton, my love
Passion of most Latinos
Thumping through my head
-Sol Estin

I like Medellín
City of Eternal Spring
(When it's not raining)
-Sol Estin

Bandeja Paisa
Big greasy plate of protein
Heart attack madness
-Sol Estin

Insecurity
Violence plagues the country
How will I fight back?
-Sol Estin

Poverty is bad
Inequality sucks too
Can we fix this classist fad?
-Sol Estin

South America
Land of Che and Escobar
Will we stumble, or go far?
-Sol Estin

I like Reggaeton
I enjoy dancing it too
In a big disco
-Raul Gomez Yepes

Party, it's what do
On weekends it's the best thing
Baby come with me
-Raul Gomez Yepes

Fun Colombians
They are always in parties
Cooking sancocho
-Camila Plata

I have a big dog
Yesterday he bit my pants
After his breakfast
-Camila Plata

A beautiful place
Where you will find happiness
Colombia is great
-Eliana Espinal
(Note: here, I let Eliana cheat because she is counting the syllables in "Colombia" the Spanish way, as containing a diptongo, or vowel union, across the "i" and "a," therefore giving the word only three syllables...)

Poor little doggy
Why did you not see the car?
I'm lonely and sad
-Eliana Espinal

The sun is shining
For that reason I'm happy
But it's burning me
-Catalina Zapata Pereira

I hate reggaeton
That music is bad for you
I'm saying to you!
-Fabian Holguin Gonzalez

I wanna be with you
You will be in my heart, boo
I will think of you
-Ligia Lozano Idarraga

I love my pets
They are very wonderful
Each one gives me love
-Laura Henao Echeverri

Bright land of colors
Music, coffee, and passion
Diverse by nature
-Sol Estin





1 comment:

  1. HAHA, extra credit for the one about the dog that didn't eat enough at breakfast!

    ReplyDelete